Wednesday 23 April 2008

Organic Photography



I once bought an excellent set of studio strobes from a good friends of mine...

They were made by White Lightning. I had 3 heads with I think 900 watts of pure light love. Since he was a really good friend, he threw in a number of things... 3 beauty dishes, 3 barn doors, 3 snoots, 2 soft boxes (one was about 4 feet x 6 feet. 3 power transformers... the works.

In theory, I could do whatever I wanted with those strobes and by golly I did try.

But you know what... I always ended up using one head at 1/8th the power...

Sadly I miss my white lightings... I had to give them up when I moved to Singapore about 4 years ago.

First of all I am not a professional photographer. Heck I do not even call my self a photographer... Let's just say I am a Smelly Snapper.

So here we go again... As with part of the phase and in line with the times. Strobist lighting seems to be the hottest thing... Whilst I think I have been doing this Strobist thing for about 4 years now.

Wait a minute... it maybe even more than 4 years ago... I first experimented in this kind of lighting when I saw a video of how the late great Dean Collins many years ago with his great hammer flash. Hmmmm... in fact I copied for many years his lighting style.

Another side comment. The best complement I ever got trying to copy his work was... "Hey your shot looks like Dean Colling lighting"... I thought I would be happy hearing this, but somehow it did'nt feel too nice.

Anyway, back to my Strobist journey.

I now have three Canon 550ex flashes and still working on my hobby, but guess what... It does not matter if I shoot with 900 watt white lightnings or a whimpy Canon 550 EX flashes... I am still finding myself using just 1 light.

Then it hit me...

The reason I like using one light or the appearance of using one light is that I am so used to the biggest available light I have been so used to seeing.

Everything just feels natural to me this way. It feels more organic.

So to all of you my millions of readers, I declare...

the Generic Asian is an Organic Photographer!


See ya!

No comments: