Tuesday 6 May 2008

Pricing your work and the never ending story of lust







In photography, it seems the lusting never stops.... its like a never ending story of lust greed and more lust. I am constantly being seduced by more and more stuff.... a new lens, a new body, a new filter, cleaning kits, tripod, it seems like it never ends.

I currently have a decent set of equipment... Let's just say in theory, I can shoot just about everything I can think of, yet every time I walk into a camera shop, there's always something.

Right now its all about filters. I always had a UV filter of some kind in front of my lens as an "insurance" of some kind. I figure that if there was any glass which was going to be scratched it better be my filter.

After all, I only have three lenses. A fifty prime which I love to bits and two zoom lenses, that I have are the well regard. These are the slightly more expensive 2.8 Canon L grade lenses

So I figure its about time to go lens filter shopping.... a bit of research here and there has shown a complex multitude of options... the range in price is quite broad, but unlike the lenses themselves, filters tend to be a bit ambiguous.

There have been a few markers of quality that I am aware of. Normally a reputable brand is a good start, the build feel of the filter when you touch it, is it made of glass or plastic, is it multi coated, etc.

There is a fundamental flaw to my approach. It assumes that I know a lot about these markers of a good quality product.

When all else fails, the solution I find to help me decide is ultimately the price.
If it is too cheap, then its suspicious. If its too expensive... then its just plain too expensive.

This made me think. How much is my body of work be worth if I tried to price it?

What I have seen so far and I think this is so true with many of today's photographers and artists. I see commercial photographers who ask for almost nothing just to get a job and then there the "artists" who think too highly of their work who tend to over price their work.

I am not a professional photographer, but until recently, I never really looked at how I can, if asked, price my work?

Do I price my work like most "bargain" shops here in Bangkok. Price high and always ready to drop 50% off the retail price at a winks notice.

Oh well, just a thought, I do not intend to sell my work nor could I ever imagine anyone wanting to buy my work...

So I gues the question sticking in my mind is do I really need to know how much my body of work is be valued? Or is it just like filters for the lenses, would I even bother using one at all?



------------------------


the Generic Asian

No comments: